Tuesday, April 26, 2016

reasons to ask W H Y, rather than what

As humans, we are often afraid to ask the daunting question "Why?" Asking this question can be quite vulnerable, as it implies that we do not know the answer to something. So often we believe it makes us seem unintelligent to not know the answer to something, when in reality it takes a lot of courage and intelligence to question something. Rather than accepting everything as it is, we need to beccome better about digging to find the answer to something.


The two most influential teachers I have had in my life (one in high school, one in college) both always asked me why. They did not just tell me the answer to something I did not know, they questioned everything, inluding what I was asking them about. They challenged and pushed me to dig deeper than I would have on my own and sometimes this was the last thing I wanted. I would get angry and frusturated, thinking they are the teacher and they should just tell me the answer and then I will know it. Rather than giving in to me, they always pushed me to discover the answer myself. Looking back at both of these teachers, I am so thankful for the skills they taught me, not just the information.

No influential leader whether it be a boss, teacher, role model, or parent, just gives in and tells the answer. They make you look for an answer, rather than giving you an answer. These are the kinds of leaders that truly make a difference in people's lives.


The Power of Asking 'Why?' article:
http://www.reliableplant.com/Read/18393/power-of-asking-'why'-how-it-makes-employees-think-grow

No comments:

Post a Comment